Saturday, September 6, 2014

How To Stay Awake During Night Shift (Graveyard)

I've been working full time night shift for about 3 years (time flies!!). Still can't believe I've been in such shift for that long considering the fact that I came to that place with the purpose to leave within 6 months - OK here's the story.. I'm 25 years old, I took a nursing assistant training and immediately started working within a month after I graduated, so I really didn't like the job then took another training for medical assistant then I finished it while as I was working.. blah blah blah.. The thing is that I didn't have any intention to stay but now I work graveyard and it sucks, well.. sometimes.

Main point is how to survive it? As of my experience these tips have helped me, some are a necessity because there's no choice on whether you get some sleep if you want to cope with the shift; I drink plenty of water and eat a good not so heavy meal before work and ususally keeps me satisfied for most of the shift, although I'm not that hungry I still get a fruit or two to snack throughout the shift, don't overload yourself with coffee unless you really need it, a cup before and another during the shift should be good if you are sleeping 6 -8 hours a day. Take a short nap at work (on lunch or break!) or try to close your eyes and relax if possible (I work in a nursing home so that's very unlikely :/), one you feel recharged a little try to keep yourself active and hydrated.
When you get home, try to sleep as soon as you can. Whether you sleep or not right after work I would recommend you to cover your windows and remind your family or whoever you live with to not interrupt your sleep! Once you have slept well try to do some cardio or go for a walk, this will make you feel good, I do that otherwise i feel sluggish :P
I hope this helps to whoever is reading my best knowledgeable tips and experience, always keep it active.

No comments:

Post a Comment